tag line

AKA ..... getting the maniacs to sit still

Thursday, June 24, 2010

TOS Review- Expedition Australia

This week we reviewed This Old Schoolhouse's down-loadable E-book

Download and Go: Expedition Australia!

This is an E-book that you download to your computer, then print out the student pages as needed. It includes information on Australia's Climate, Culture, Wildlife,Language, topography, landmarks, cities and history. The e-book guides you day by day in a one week study of the land down under. It also includes links to videos, articles, pictures, and coloring pages. Included in the e-book are ideas for fun activities and ideas to enhance your study even more.

I think this is a great and very affordable option for Geography unit studies. I was unsure at first of what my kids would think of this but I am happy to tell you though they LOVED learning about Australia. I really enjoyed having the information in the e-book format. It was so easy to watch the video links included, look up facts and even hop on over to you tube to watch the Aboriginal didgeridoo being played. After day one my son was asking if we could go on vacation to Australia!


The kids loved learning about the differences in language, culture and landscape. The e-book included a lot of details that I would have forgotten to include or simply wouldn't have known about. Everyone enjoyed this from the 2 year old to the 13 year old ( and maybe even Mom ;) ). The favorite thing for the kids was by far all the information on the animals.


The only thing I didn't love is that I felt it was too much information for a week. Some days we spent over an hour on it and still didn't get to everything. If I were to do it again I would probably split it up into a month and spend more time on each aspect so we could enjoy it more and not feel quite so rushed.

All in all this E-book is a fun, easy and inexpensive way to introduce your children to Australia.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I always love to hear what you're thinking......